Reading book "Do Onto Otters: A Book About Manners" and learning good table manners
- Read the book “Do Unto Otters: A Book About Manners” by Laurie Keller
- Highlight 3 correct eating habits, such as:
- Chewing with mouth closed
- Napkin on lap as soon as sitting down
- Using please and thank you (word please is used when you want something and thank you when you receive something)
- Write these three habits on a sheet of paper with your child and review them daily before sitting down to eat throughout the month
- The European Journal of Social Psychology suggested a new habit takes 66 days of repetition. By introducing and reinforcing good habits to preschoolers, the goal of practicing good manners should last a lifetime
Practice with a child in chewing with mouth open and then with mouth closed. Ask what looks nicer.
Let child "read" the three manners you have written down to practice before meals.
- Book “Do Unto Otters: A Book About Manners” by Laurie Keller
- sheet of paper
Curriculum Plan Resources
- Shape - Circle, Square
- Color - Red
- Number - Three, 3
- Alphabet Letters - C, R
- Senses - Smell
- Character Trait - Manners
- Target Words - On, Top, High, Low
Golden Rule - Do unto others as you would have them do to you
Did You Know?
“The human brain is 90% developed by age 5." Center on the Developing Child at Harvard University
Books to Read
"Do Unto Otters: A Book About Manners"
by Laurie Kelly (Activity 12)
"The Alphabet Book"
by P.D. Eastman (Activity 4)
"Goldilocks and the Three Bears"
by Jim Aylesworth (Activity 13)
"Three Little Birdies"
by Bob Marley Album Legend (Reggae) (Activity 6)
"Race: The Final Starlight Express"
Album Starlight Express Original Cast (Broadway - Pop) (Activity 18)
"Clap Your Hands Now"
by Pam Donkin Album A Hop, Skip, and a Jump (Children) (Activity 15)
Monthly Materials List
Click Here to view the list!
Fingerplay / Poems / Songs
Way Up High In An Apple Tree
(Activity 26 Month 3)
Way up high in an apple tree
Two red apples look down at me
I shook that tree as hard as I could
Down came the apples
Mmmmmm they were good.
Peter (child’s name) Uses One Hammer
(Activity 21 Month 3)
Peter (use child’s name) hammers with one hammer one hammer one hammer
Peter hammers with one hammer all day long (tap fist on the floor)
Pater hammers with two hammers, two hammers two hammers (tap other fist too) Peter hammers with two hammers all day long.
Peter hammers with three hammers, three hammers three hammers (add one foot) Peter hammers with three hammers all day long.
Peter hammers with four hammers four hammers four hammers (tap other foot too along with fists) Peter hammers with four hammers all day long.
Peter hammers with five hammers five hammers five hammers (use your head) Peter hammers with five hammers And then he goes to sleep!