A snack break using the letter C, counting skills and color red
- On a red sheet of construction paper or colored placemat, have a child write the letter C on the paper with the following directions:
- Write the letter C 3 times high on the paper
- Write the letter C 3 times low on the paper
- Write 3 C’s in a row anywhere on the paper
- Count the number of C’s on the paper (9)
- Share a treat of cocoa, carrots, cantaloupe, or crackers/cookies using the red ‘C’ placemat
- Make hot cocoa by:
- Heating chocolate milk
- OR using a packaged cocoa mix with hot water
- OR warming white milk and stirring in 1/4 to 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
- Ask child to name and say the beginning sound of each treat - “c” cocoa, “c” carrot, “c” cracker/cookie
Point to a high place on the paper for child to write a C; point to a low place on the paper for child to write a C. Next ask child to point to a high place on the paper and if correct let him write a C; and then ask him to point to a low place on the paper and if correct let him write a C.
- red construction paper
- ingredients for hot cocoa
- Letter "C" foods to snack - cantaloupe, cookie, crackers, carrots, etc.
Curriculum Plan Resources
- Shape - Circle, Square
- Color - Red
- Number - Three, 3
- Alphabet Letters - C, R
- Senses - Smell
- Character Trait - Manners
- Target Words - On, Top, High, Low
Golden Rule - Do unto others as you would have them do to you
Did You Know?
“The human brain is 90% developed by age 5." Center on the Developing Child at Harvard University
Books to Read
"Do Unto Otters: A Book About Manners"
by Laurie Kelly (Activity 12)
"The Alphabet Book"
by P.D. Eastman (Activity 4)
"Goldilocks and the Three Bears"
by Jim Aylesworth (Activity 13)
"Three Little Birdies"
by Bob Marley Album Legend (Reggae) (Activity 6)
"Race: The Final Starlight Express"
Album Starlight Express Original Cast (Broadway - Pop) (Activity 18)
"Clap Your Hands Now"
by Pam Donkin Album A Hop, Skip, and a Jump (Children) (Activity 15)
Monthly Materials List
Click Here to view the list!
Fingerplay / Poems / Songs
Way Up High In An Apple Tree
(Activity 26 Month 3)
Way up high in an apple tree
Two red apples look down at me
I shook that tree as hard as I could
Down came the apples
Mmmmmm they were good.
Peter (child’s name) Uses One Hammer
(Activity 21 Month 3)
Peter (use child’s name) hammers with one hammer one hammer one hammer
Peter hammers with one hammer all day long (tap fist on the floor)
Pater hammers with two hammers, two hammers two hammers (tap other fist too) Peter hammers with two hammers all day long.
Peter hammers with three hammers, three hammers three hammers (add one foot) Peter hammers with three hammers all day long.
Peter hammers with four hammers four hammers four hammers (tap other foot too along with fists) Peter hammers with four hammers all day long.
Peter hammers with five hammers five hammers five hammers (use your head) Peter hammers with five hammers And then he goes to sleep!