Practicing shapes and movement
- You will need 7 folded sheets of newspaper (or large sheets of paper) and a brown marker
- Ask child to draw a big shape on each of the newspapers - rectangle, square, heart, circle, star, oval, and triangle.
- Ask child to spread the newspaper shapes all over a room or outside
- Ask child to move to a shape with the following motions: (if child doesn’t know the motion teach them)
- Crawl on your belly to the circle; hop on two feet to the triangle; skip to the oval; gallop to the rectangle; walk backwards to the circle; walk on tip toe to the star; hop on right foot to the heart, crawl on hands and knees to square, etc.
Have child place hand over your hand when drawing the shapes on the newspapers. Remember to repeat the name of each shape as you are drawing the shape.
You can turn into a matching game by using 14 sheets of newspaper and making two copies of each shape. Place shapes in a large area and have child do a motion between the two matching shapes. For example, crawl on your belly between the two circle shapes or hop on two feet between the two triangle shapes.
- 7 folded sheets of newspaper or large sheets of plain paper
- brown marker
Curriculum Plan Resources
- Shape - Oval
- Color - Brown
- Number - Nine, 9
- Alphabet Letters - Q, T, L
- Senses - Sight
- Character Trait - Friendliness
- Target Words - Fast, Front, Sort, Same
Spanish - Tell me who you’re with and I’ll tell you who you are
Did You Know?
"The brain develops rapidly during the first five years and quality preschool programs can have a profound impact during this time.” CA First 5
Books to Read
"Fish Eyes: A Book You Can Count On"
by Lois Ehlert (Activity 7)
"Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?"
by Bill Martin (Activity 8) (audio book available) (NOTE: Please look for the 25th anniversary edition where the text is back to the original wording)
by Joan Blos (Activity 12)
"The Alphabet Song"
Album: Big Don’s Big Beat (Activity 5)
"Por Una Cabeza by Carlos Gardel"
Album: The Very Best (Activity 20)
"The Turtle Song"
by Suzi Shelton Album Simply Suzi (Activity 11)
Monthly Materials List
Click Here to view the list!
Fingerplay / Poems / Songs
There Was A Little Turtle
(Activity 11 Month 11)
There was a little turtle who lived in a box.
He swam in the water, he climbed on the rocks.
He snapped at a mosquito, he snapped at a flea, he snapped at a minnow and he snapped at me.
He caught that mosquito, he caught that flea, he caught that minnow, but he didn’t catch me.
Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep
(Activity 19 Month 11)
Now I lay me down to sleep.
I’ll count these hands instead of sheep.
Help me to remember these friends I made.
And all the wonderful times we played.