Thinking game using verbal skills
- Make cards with names/pictures of rooms in the home or say name of room - kitchen, bedroom, bathroom, living room, gathering room, study, basement, laundry room, playroom, exercise room, etc.
- Ask child what type of activity you would do in each of the rooms
- For example: What type of activity can you do in a "kitchen"? - (child response would be something like this...) I would eat in the kitchen.
- Ask child what you might find in each of the rooms.
- For example: What is an object you would find in a "kitchen"? - (child response would be something like this..) I would find a stove in a kitchen.
- Encourage child to answer in a complete sentence
Share with a child an activity or an object and let child tell you what room in a house that could be done or found. For example, Where would you wash your hands? Where could I read a book? Where would I find a washing machine? Where would I find a shirt to wear? Where would I watch television? etc.
- index cards/paper (optional)
- picture of rooms (kitchen, bedroom, bathroom, etc.) in a home (optional)
Curriculum Plan Resources
- Shape - Rectangle
- Color - Orange
- Number - 1-4 Review
- Alphabet - O, U
- Senses - Sight
- Character Trait - Responsibility
- Target Words - Under, Up, Down, Tall
Yiddish- If each person sweeps in front of his own door the whole street is clean
Did You Know?
"The brain builds itself in response to the child’s experiences. Brain circuits that the child uses in daily life are strengthened. Those that the child doesn’t use fade away. "
National Research Council From Neurons to Neighborhoods, 2000
Books to Read
"AlphaBugs: A Pop Up Alphabet Book"
by David Carter (Activity 1)
"Deep In The Swamp"
by Donna Bateman (Activity 22)
"Head to Toe"
by E. Carle (Activity 10)
"When The Saints Go Marching In"
by Pete Fountain, Album: Do You Know What It Means to Miss New Orleans? (Jazz) (Activity 2)
"Go, Flush, Wash, Dry"
by Martin Kerr, Album: Favourite Songs from the Family Learning House (Children) (Activity 24)
"The Noble Duke of York"
by Susan McRae, Album: Barney’s Song Book - 16 Favourites for Kids (Children) (Activity 15)
Monthly Materials List
Click Here to view the list!
Fingerplay / Poems / Songs
Sing/Say The Alphabet
(Activity 26 Month 5)
ABCDEFG HIJKLMNOP QRSTUV WXYZ
Now I’ve said my ABC’s, Next time won't you sing with me.