A fun use of video and song "Go, Flush, Wash, Dry" to teach bathroom manners
- Here is a short video from England showing what to do after going to the bathroom: http://bbc.in/PyRsJM
- Listen to the accent and different words used
- Inform child that video was made in the country of England
- Look at the map/globe and find England
- Listen to the song “Go, Flush, Wash and Dry” by Martin Kerr
Review with child how to flush a toilet - some toilets have different flush mechanism on top or side and in public places are often automatic.
Share with a child some of the ways that all people have the same bodies. For example, everyone needs to sleep, eat, go to the bathroom, OR everyone needs to take breaths of air, have a beating heart, etc. Encourage child to see how similar our bodies work whether we are old or young, white or black skin, girl or boy.
- Song “Go, Flush, Wash and Dry” by Martin Kerr
- world map/globe
- internet (smart phone/computer)
Curriculum Plan Resources
- Shape - Rectangle
- Color - Orange
- Number - 1-4 Review
- Alphabet - O, U
- Senses - Sight
- Character Trait - Responsibility
- Target Words - Under, Up, Down, Tall
Yiddish- If each person sweeps in front of his own door the whole street is clean
Did You Know?
"The brain builds itself in response to the child’s experiences. Brain circuits that the child uses in daily life are strengthened. Those that the child doesn’t use fade away. "
National Research Council From Neurons to Neighborhoods, 2000
Books to Read
"AlphaBugs: A Pop Up Alphabet Book"
by David Carter (Activity 1)
"Deep In The Swamp"
by Donna Bateman (Activity 22)
"Head to Toe"
by E. Carle (Activity 10)
"When The Saints Go Marching In"
by Pete Fountain, Album: Do You Know What It Means to Miss New Orleans? (Jazz) (Activity 2)
"Go, Flush, Wash, Dry"
by Martin Kerr, Album: Favourite Songs from the Family Learning House (Children) (Activity 24)
"The Noble Duke of York"
by Susan McRae, Album: Barney’s Song Book - 16 Favourites for Kids (Children) (Activity 15)
Monthly Materials List
Click Here to view the list!
Fingerplay / Poems / Songs
Sing/Say The Alphabet
(Activity 26 Month 5)
ABCDEFG HIJKLMNOP QRSTUV WXYZ
Now I’ve said my ABC’s, Next time won't you sing with me.