Brushing your teeth is fun
- Making toothbrushing a fun activity from the beginning will help a child develop a good attitude toward this habit
- Invite child to watch you brush your teeth - let them get up close!!!
- Invite child to brush your teeth
- Put only a pea size amount of toothpaste on brush. Adult brushes child teeth while counting to 10 then let child brush his own teeth while you count to 10. Keep trading turns until all teeth have been cleaned
- Teach child from beginning to “spit” out the toothpaste and rinse mouth so fluorosis - spots on teeth won’t happen. Spitting can be the most FUN.
Review with child what a doctor does...a person specially trained in school who helps to keep you well and aids you when you are sick. There are special doctors who learn about certain parts of the body and how to keep them well. A dentist is a doctor who helps us to take care of our teeth. Ask child to think of ways they can keep their teeth healthy - brushing, eating healthy foods, etc.
Write the word 'dentist' on a sheet of paper. Ask child to cross out each of the letters in the word as you say a letter aloud...Cross out the letter "e" in dentist, cross out the letter "i" in dentist, cross out the letter "t" in dentist (do you see two letter "t's"?) etc.
- child's toothbrush
- adult's toothbrush
- toothpaste appropriate for child use
- paper and pencil (optional)
Curriculum Plan Resources
- Shape - Review
- Color - Black
- Number - Seven, 7
- Alphabet Letters - J, I
- Sense - Smell
- Character Trait - Courage
- Target Words - Long, Little, Short, Small
Chinese - If you get up one more time than you fall, you will make it through
Did You Know?
"Before children enter elementary school, they must develop many linguistic and cognitive skills that will make later academic learning possible. By the age of five, however, children differ markedly in their success in reaching these developmental goals." Entwisle & Alexander, 1993
Books to Read
"The Little Engine That Could"
by Watty Piper, Illustrator Loren Long (Activity 12) (audiobook available)
"My Very First Mother Goose"
with Ioa Opie Editor and Rosemary Wells Illustrator (Activity 26)
"Of Colors and Things"
by Tana Hoban (Activity 8)
"America (My Country Tis of Thee)"
by the Hit Crew, Album: Drew’s Famous Music for Summer Games and Activities (Activity 13)
by Willa Brigham, Album: Healthy Happy Habits (Activity 25)
"Miss Mary Mack"
by Ella Jenkins, Album: You’ll Sing a Song and I’ll Sing a Song (Activity 9)
Monthly Materials List
Click Here to view the list!
Fingerplay / Poems / Songs
Jack and Jill
(Activity 19 Month 9)
Jack and Jill went up the hill to fetch a pail of water.
Jack fell down and broke his crown and Jill came tumbling after.