Exploring how the environment changes
- Together with your child find a tree close to your home that will change through the year with leaf color, size, flowers, etc.
- This tree can be in your backyard, in a nearby park, or on a route that you drive often with a child
- Take a picture of the tree this month
- Place a reminder on a calendar together to check on the tree again every two months - for a total of 6 times a year
- Each time take a picture and post where child can see and compare the changes of the tree
- Chat about how our surroundings are filled with living objects - trees, plants, animals, etc.
Select a leaf from the tree every few months and place in a plastic sandwich bag to compare how the leaves change
Make a print of tree picture and attach to cardstock paper to make a notecard.
Curriculum Plan Resources
- Shape - Review
- Color - Black
- Number - Seven, 7
- Alphabet Letters - J, I
- Sense - Smell
- Character Trait - Courage
- Target Words - Long, Little, Short, Small
Chinese - If you get up one more time than you fall, you will make it through
Did You Know?
"Before children enter elementary school, they must develop many linguistic and cognitive skills that will make later academic learning possible. By the age of five, however, children differ markedly in their success in reaching these developmental goals." Entwisle & Alexander, 1993
Books to Read
"The Little Engine That Could"
by Watty Piper, Illustrator Loren Long (Activity 12) (audiobook available)
"My Very First Mother Goose"
with Ioa Opie Editor and Rosemary Wells Illustrator (Activity 26)
"Of Colors and Things"
by Tana Hoban (Activity 8)
"America (My Country Tis of Thee)"
by the Hit Crew, Album: Drew’s Famous Music for Summer Games and Activities (Activity 13)
by Willa Brigham, Album: Healthy Happy Habits (Activity 25)
"Miss Mary Mack"
by Ella Jenkins, Album: You’ll Sing a Song and I’ll Sing a Song (Activity 9)
Monthly Materials List
Click Here to view the list!
Fingerplay / Poems / Songs
Jack and Jill
(Activity 19 Month 9)
Jack and Jill went up the hill to fetch a pail of water.
Jack fell down and broke his crown and Jill came tumbling after.