Experimenting with garlic
- This activity gets a child thinking about how a body functions as a whole
- Together peel a garlic bulb, remove one clove and smell
- Place the clove of garlic between your child’s toes and put on their socks. Join your child in this experiment and have a clove of garlic between your toes too!
- In as little as 30 minutes, you may begin having the taste of garlic in your mouth
- In an hour or so you can smell the garlic on your skin
- Explain how your skin in the largest organ of the body and acts to insulate and protect the body from germs and the need to keep it clean
- 1 garlic bulb
Curriculum Plan Resources
- Shape - Review
- Color - Black
- Number - Seven, 7
- Alphabet Letters - J, I
- Sense - Smell
- Character Trait - Courage
- Target Words - Long, Little, Short, Small
Chinese - If you get up one more time than you fall, you will make it through
Did You Know?
"Before children enter elementary school, they must develop many linguistic and cognitive skills that will make later academic learning possible. By the age of five, however, children differ markedly in their success in reaching these developmental goals." Entwisle & Alexander, 1993
Books to Read
"The Little Engine That Could"
by Watty Piper, Illustrator Loren Long (Activity 12) (audiobook available)
"My Very First Mother Goose"
with Ioa Opie Editor and Rosemary Wells Illustrator (Activity 26)
"Of Colors and Things"
by Tana Hoban (Activity 8)
"America (My Country Tis of Thee)"
by the Hit Crew, Album: Drew’s Famous Music for Summer Games and Activities (Activity 13)
by Willa Brigham, Album: Healthy Happy Habits (Activity 25)
"Miss Mary Mack"
by Ella Jenkins, Album: You’ll Sing a Song and I’ll Sing a Song (Activity 9)
Monthly Materials List
Click Here to view the list!
Fingerplay / Poems / Songs
Jack and Jill
(Activity 19 Month 9)
Jack and Jill went up the hill to fetch a pail of water.
Jack fell down and broke his crown and Jill came tumbling after.