Learning About Swamps
Read "Deep In The Swamp" identify different animals, and use a map
- Read book “Deep in the Swamp” by Donna Bateman
- Make a list of eight different animals from the book with each animal on a separate index card: blue heron, rat snake, river otter, alligator, snapping turtle, damselfly, bull frog, crayfish - Write and say aloud letters in each animal name repeating name of animal when all letters are written
- Child selects an index card and together read the animal name and find the selected animal in the book
Open book to the page that one of the eight animals is shown. Ask child to locate the animal and let child point to the animal and say the name.
Look at a map of the United States and show the location of Okenfenokee Swamp Park in Waycross, Georgia.
Curriculum Plan Resources
- Shape - Rectangle
- Color - Orange
- Number - 1-4 Review
- Alphabet - O, U
- Senses - Sight
- Character Trait - Responsibility
- Target Words - Under, Up, Down, Tall
Yiddish- If each person sweeps in front of his own door the whole street is clean
Did You Know?
"The brain builds itself in response to the child’s experiences. Brain circuits that the child uses in daily life are strengthened. Those that the child doesn’t use fade away. "
National Research Council From Neurons to Neighborhoods, 2000
Books to Read
"AlphaBugs: A Pop Up Alphabet Book"
by David Carter (Activity 1)
"Deep In The Swamp"
by Donna Bateman (Activity 22)
"Head to Toe"
by E. Carle (Activity 10)
"When The Saints Go Marching In"
by Pete Fountain, Album: Do You Know What It Means to Miss New Orleans? (Jazz) (Activity 2)
"Go, Flush, Wash, Dry"
by Martin Kerr, Album: Favourite Songs from the Family Learning House (Children) (Activity 24)
"The Noble Duke of York"
by Susan McRae, Album: Barney’s Song Book - 16 Favourites for Kids (Children) (Activity 15)
Monthly Materials List
Click Here to view the list!
Fingerplay / Poems / Songs
Sing/Say The Alphabet
(Activity 26 Month 5)
ABCDEFG HIJKLMNOP QRSTUV WXYZ
Now I’ve said my ABC’s, Next time won't you sing with me.