Throwing and grasping objects (Fine motor)
Developing throwing skills while practicing shape recognition
- Draw “targets” with a child on a sidewalk with chalk
- Draw a large square, circle, triangle, rectangle
- Leave lots of space in between these “shape targets”
- Give child a beanbag and ask him to throw at the targets
- Throw beanbag to land in square
- Throw beanbag to land next to the rectangle
- Throw beanbag to land on circle, etc.
- See if child can throw underhand and overhand
* Can make the target shapes indoors with duct tape
Adjust size of targets and distances to throw for child to be successful. For example, make a very large circle and have child stand very close with beanbag to throw at the circle target.
Encourage child to throw at target while throwing under their leg, OR while standing backwards, OR by placing beanbag on head and tossing at target shape. This can be such a fun and silly learning opportunity.
Curriculum Plan Resources
- Shape - Rectangle
- Color - Orange
- Number - 1-4 Review
- Alphabet - O, U
- Senses - Sight
- Character Trait - Responsibility
- Target Words - Under, Up, Down, Tall
Yiddish- If each person sweeps in front of his own door the whole street is clean
Did You Know?
"The brain builds itself in response to the child’s experiences. Brain circuits that the child uses in daily life are strengthened. Those that the child doesn’t use fade away. "
National Research Council From Neurons to Neighborhoods, 2000
Books to Read
"AlphaBugs: A Pop Up Alphabet Book"
by David Carter (Activity 1)
"Deep In The Swamp"
by Donna Bateman (Activity 22)
"Head to Toe"
by E. Carle (Activity 10)
"When The Saints Go Marching In"
by Pete Fountain, Album: Do You Know What It Means to Miss New Orleans? (Jazz) (Activity 2)
"Go, Flush, Wash, Dry"
by Martin Kerr, Album: Favourite Songs from the Family Learning House (Children) (Activity 24)
"The Noble Duke of York"
by Susan McRae, Album: Barney’s Song Book - 16 Favourites for Kids (Children) (Activity 15)
Monthly Materials List
Click Here to view the list!
Fingerplay / Poems / Songs
Sing/Say The Alphabet
(Activity 26 Month 5)
ABCDEFG HIJKLMNOP QRSTUV WXYZ
Now I’ve said my ABC’s, Next time won't you sing with me.