Teaching color patterns with cereal and finger dexterity
- You will need a long pipe cleaner and round fruit flavored colored cereal (Fruit Loops, Cheerios, etc.)
- Encourage child to string the cereal onto the pipe cleaner
- Together count 4 purple cereal pieces and add to pipe cleaner
- Together count 8 yellow cereal pieces and add to pipe cleaner
- They can make up a pattern - blue, purple, green, orange and repeat until pipe cleaner is full
- Wear pipe cleaner bracelet on wrist and child can have a snack anytime
If manipulating the pipe cleaner is difficult, place one of the ends of the pipe cleaner into a ball of play dough or into the bottom of a styrofoam cup turned upside down.
Make a pattern of cereal pieces on a separate pipe cleaner and see if child can duplicate the pattern.
- pipe cleaner
- round fruit flavored (colored) cereal with hole
Curriculum Plan Resources
- Shape - Circle
- Color - Blue
- Number - Two, 2
- Alphabet Letters - B, F
- Senses - Hearing
- Character Trait - Joyfulness
- Target Words - Big, Bigger, Happy, Small
Unknown “Every day may not be good, but there’s something good in every day."
Did You Know?
“A 3-year-old toddler's brain is twice as active as an adult's brain.”- Sean Brotherson, NDSU
Books to Read
by Ann Jonas (Activity 8)
"The Grouchy Ladybug"
Eric Carle (Activity 12)
"Chicka Chicka Boom Boom"
by Bill Martin and John Archambault (Activity 4)
"Jump Up It’s A Good Day"
by Brady Rymer Album Here Comes Brady Rymer and the Little Band That Could (Children) (Activity 10)
"Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes "
by Countdown Kids Album 100 Silly Songs (Children) (Activity 24)
by Nabil David Huening Album Children’s Virtues Songs (Children) (Activity 13)
"If You’re Happy and You Know It "
by Dora the Explorer Album Party Favorites (Activity 26)
Monthly Materials List
Click Here to view the list!
Fingerplay / Poems / Songs
Touch Your Nose
(Activity 25 Month 2)
Touch your nose, touch your chin, That’s the way this game begins.
Touch your eyes, Touch your knees; Now pretend you’re going to sneeze.
Touch your hair, Touch one ear; Touch your two red lips right here.
Touch your elbows where they bend,
That’s the way this touch game ends.