Practicing self control
- Place 10 white jelly beans, 10 sliced pieces of jicama, or white miniature marshmallows in front of child at a table (choose an item that would be a treat to child)
- Tell child they can have 1 jelly bean/jicama/marshmallow now OR they can have all of them if they wait 5 minutes sitting at the table
- If they wait 5 minutes you will also read an extra story now or at bedtime
- If they agree to wait, set a timer for 5 minutes (or less) and leave child at table
- Watch discretely and see what happens
- If child makes it for all 5 minutes, chat about how they now receive all the jellybeans/jicama/marshmallows and have an extra story
- If child fell short of the 5 minutes praise them for their effort - but no jelly beans, marshmallows or story as they need to learn about consequences
* We based this activity on this well-known laugh out loud "Marshmallow Study". Watch it here
The original "marshmallow test" was at Stanford University in the 1960's. The time was 15 to 20 minutes of waiting for a four year old. Here is a summary of the test.
- 10 white jellybeans/slices of jicama/ or mini marshmallows
- story (optional)
Curriculum Plan Resources
- Shape - Review
- Color - White
- Number - Eight, 8
- Alphabet Letters - W, N
- Senses - Taste
- Character Trait - Self-Control
- Target Words - Good-night, Sweet, Sour, Next
Dutch - A handful of patience is worth more than a bushel of brains
Did You Know?
" Approximately two-thirds of parents surveyed would like information about ways to support children’s early reading and school readiness skills, ways to help children’s social-emotional development and how to use positive discipline." Washington Early Learning System
Books to Read
"Black and White Rabbit’s ABC"
by Alan Baker (Activity 9)
by Margaret Wise Brown (Activity 14) (audio book available)
"Cars and Trucks and Things that Go"
by Richard Scarry (Activity 26)
by Sharon, Lois & Bram Album: Sing A to Z (Activity 1)
12 Variations on “Ah, vous dirai-je, Maman” K.265 (Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star) Mozart"
by George Szell; Cleveland Orchestra Album: Mozart: Piano Concertos K. 467 & 537; Variations K.265 (Activity 20)
"10 Crunchy Carrots"
by Charlotte Diamond Album: 10 Carrot Diamond (Activity 6)
Monthly Materials List
Click Here to view the list!
Fingerplay / Poems / Songs
(Activity 23 Month 10)
I wake up in the morning early
And always the very first thing
I poke up my head and I sit up in bed
And I sing and I sing, and I sing.
(This poem was memorized and recited each morning in our family. Use this poem or find your own for your wake-up routine.)