Using a fruit to teach the color orange
- While making this dessert, chat about the color of the fruit, where oranges come from (trees, warm climate, etc.) and other items that are orange colored
- Cut the top 1/4 of an orange off to use as a top
- Let child draw a face with black magic marker on the orange. Chat about including eyes on the face for seeing
- Help child hollow out the inside with a spoon and fill with orange sherbet
- Place the top back on orange and place on cookie sheet in the freezer or enjoy immediately
- Serve for a snack or dessert
Having a child use a spoon to scoop out the insides of the orange is a fun way to develop hand strength for writing. Adults can loosen the insides of the orange if it becomes too hard for a child to remove the pulp.
Have child find all of the seeds (if not seedless) and count the number of seeds in the orange.
- black marker
- orange sherbet
Curriculum Plan Resources
- Shape - Rectangle
- Color - Orange
- Number - 1-4 Review
- Alphabet - O, U
- Senses - Sight
- Character Trait - Responsibility
- Target Words - Under, Up, Down, Tall
Yiddish- If each person sweeps in front of his own door the whole street is clean
Did You Know?
"The brain builds itself in response to the child’s experiences. Brain circuits that the child uses in daily life are strengthened. Those that the child doesn’t use fade away. "
National Research Council From Neurons to Neighborhoods, 2000
Books to Read
"AlphaBugs: A Pop Up Alphabet Book"
by David Carter (Activity 1)
"Deep In The Swamp"
by Donna Bateman (Activity 22)
"Head to Toe"
by E. Carle (Activity 10)
"When The Saints Go Marching In"
by Pete Fountain, Album: Do You Know What It Means to Miss New Orleans? (Jazz) (Activity 2)
"Go, Flush, Wash, Dry"
by Martin Kerr, Album: Favourite Songs from the Family Learning House (Children) (Activity 24)
"The Noble Duke of York"
by Susan McRae, Album: Barney’s Song Book - 16 Favourites for Kids (Children) (Activity 15)
Monthly Materials List
Click Here to view the list!
Fingerplay / Poems / Songs
Sing/Say The Alphabet
(Activity 26 Month 5)
ABCDEFG HIJKLMNOP QRSTUV WXYZ
Now I’ve said my ABC’s, Next time won't you sing with me.