Read the book "The Color Monster, A Story About Emotions" and do a counting activity in the car
- Read the book “The Color Monster, A Story About Emotions” by Anna Lienas or Listen/Read here
- This month have child “spy” black cars on the road while in the car or while walking outside "spy" for any black objects
- Show the child how to make a “tally” chart, a slash for each black car/object seen - with four lines vertical and then the fifth line crossing the four lines to show a set of five
- Each time you are in the car have the “tally” chart (paper/dry erase board, chalkboard) ready for the child to use. See picture above
- If looking for black objects while walking, you can keep count and make a tally sheet when you get home
- At the end of the month (day, week) count together the marks that show how many black cars/objects were seen
Instead of keeping a running tally of black cars/objects for the month, try for a day or just during one trip in the car or a walk
Click here to watch a video about the color black
When you are counting the tally marks, together count by fives
Click here for a fun song that counts by five's
QUESTIONS FOR A CHILD
Where would you like to travel and how would you get there?
What is something that your mom or dad always says to you?
Curriculum Plan Resources
- Shape - Review
- Color - Black
- Number - Seven, 7
- Alphabet Letters - J, I
- Sense - Smell
- Character Trait - Courage
- Target Words - Long, Little, Short, Small
Chinese - If you get up one more time than you fall, you will make it through
Did You Know?
"Before children enter elementary school, they must develop many linguistic and cognitive skills that will make later academic learning possible. By the age of five, however, children differ markedly in their success in reaching these developmental goals." Entwisle & Alexander, 1993
Books to Read
"The Little Engine That Could"
by Watty Piper, Illustrator Loren Long (Activity 12) (audiobook available)
"My Very First Mother Goose"
with Ioa Opie Editor and Rosemary Wells Illustrator (Activity 26)
"The Color Monster, A Story About Emotions "
by Anna Lienas (Activity 8)
"The Color Monster, A Story About Emotions" VIDEO
by Anna Lienas (Activity 8)
"The Little Engine that Could" VIDEO
by Watty Piper (Activity 12)
"America (My Country Tis of Thee)" VIDEO
by the Hit Crew, Album: Drew’s Famous Music for Summer Games and Activities (Activity 13)
by Willa Brigham, Album: Healthy Happy Habits (Activity 25)
"Miss Mary Mack"
by Ella Jenkins, Album: You’ll Sing a Song and I’ll Sing a Song (Activity 9)
My Country 'Tis of Thee
by Aretha Franklin (Activity 13)
Monthly Materials List
Click Here to view the list!
Fingerplay / Poems / Songs
Jack and Jill
(Activity 19 Month 9)
Jack and Jill went up the hill to fetch a pail of water.
Jack fell down and broke his crown and Jill came tumbling after.