A counting and memory activity
- Have child pretend to get ready for guests invited for dinner. There will be seven guests. Encourage child to count aloud while placing the plates, knives, spoons, and forks
- Ask child to place seven plates on the table (paper or plastic)
- Ask child to place seven knives (plastic) on the table next to each plate on the right side - one for each guest
- Ask child to place seven forks (plastic) on the table next to each plate on the left side - one for each guest
- Ask child to place seven spoons (plastic) on the table next to the knife - one for each guest
- Ask child to place a napkin at each place setting
Ask child to take away one place setting (plate, knife, fork, spoon, napkin) and ask how many people will be sitting at the table (six)
Ask child to take away another place setting and ask how many people will be sitting at the table (five)
Continue asking child to take a place setting away one by one until you have zero place settings at the table
- child and adult
- seven plates (plastic or paper)
- seven each of plastic knives, forks, and spoons
- seven napkins (paper or cloth)
Curriculum Plan Resources
- Shape - Review
- Color - Black
- Number - Seven, 7
- Alphabet Letters - J, I
- Sense - Smell
- Character Trait - Courage
- Target Words - Long, Little, Short, Small
Chinese - If you get up one more time than you fall, you will make it through
Did You Know?
"Before children enter elementary school, they must develop many linguistic and cognitive skills that will make later academic learning possible. By the age of five, however, children differ markedly in their success in reaching these developmental goals." Entwisle & Alexander, 1993
Books to Read
"The Little Engine That Could"
by Watty Piper, Illustrator Loren Long (Activity 12) (audiobook available)
"My Very First Mother Goose"
with Ioa Opie Editor and Rosemary Wells Illustrator (Activity 26)
"Of Colors and Things"
by Tana Hoban (Activity 8)
"America (My Country Tis of Thee)"
by the Hit Crew, Album: Drew’s Famous Music for Summer Games and Activities (Activity 13)
by Willa Brigham, Album: Healthy Happy Habits (Activity 25)
"Miss Mary Mack"
by Ella Jenkins, Album: You’ll Sing a Song and I’ll Sing a Song (Activity 9)
Monthly Materials List
Click Here to view the list!
Fingerplay / Poems / Songs
Jack and Jill
(Activity 19 Month 9)
Jack and Jill went up the hill to fetch a pail of water.
Jack fell down and broke his crown and Jill came tumbling after.