Using coins for counting skills and pattern making
- Have a container of about 10 pennies and 10 dimes
- Show child a penny and a dime and let child explain how he can remember the look and names of the two coins
- Empty the container of the table and let child find and count out three pennies
- Let child find and count out three dimes
- Have adult make a pattern of three coins: penny - dime - penny
- Let child copy the pattern of the three coins by selecting the proper three coins
- Adult makes a different pattern of three coins: dime - dime - penny
- Let child find the coins to copy this pattern of three coins
- Continue by making different patterns for a child to copy
Some children need help in distinguishing the coins. Use pennies and quarters for this activity and see if this helps a child. The penny and quarter are different colors and sizes which can help child in seeing the difference.
Cover up the pattern of the three coins with a napkin and let child make pattern by memory. Next, make a pattern using four or more coins, let child look at and then cover up for child to make pattern by memory.
- 10 dimes and 10 pennies
Curriculum Plan Resources
- Shape - Circle, Square
- Color - Red
- Number - Three, 3
- Alphabet Letters - C, R
- Senses - Smell
- Character Trait - Manners
- Target Words - On, Top, High, Low
Golden Rule - Do unto others as you would have them do to you
Did You Know?
“The human brain is 90% developed by age 5." Center on the Developing Child at Harvard University
Books to Read
"Do Unto Otters: A Book About Manners"
by Laurie Kelly (Activity 12)
"The Alphabet Book"
by P.D. Eastman (Activity 4)
"Goldilocks and the Three Bears"
by Jim Aylesworth (Activity 13)
"Three Little Birdies"
by Bob Marley Album Legend (Reggae) (Activity 6)
"Race: The Final Starlight Express"
Album Starlight Express Original Cast (Broadway - Pop) (Activity 18)
"Clap Your Hands Now"
by Pam Donkin Album A Hop, Skip, and a Jump (Children) (Activity 15)
Monthly Materials List
Click Here to view the list!
Fingerplay / Poems / Songs
Way Up High In An Apple Tree
(Activity 26 Month 3)
Way up high in an apple tree
Two red apples look down at me
I shook that tree as hard as I could
Down came the apples
Mmmmmm they were good.
Peter (child’s name) Uses One Hammer
(Activity 21 Month 3)
Peter (use child’s name) hammers with one hammer one hammer one hammer
Peter hammers with one hammer all day long (tap fist on the floor)
Pater hammers with two hammers, two hammers two hammers (tap other fist too) Peter hammers with two hammers all day long.
Peter hammers with three hammers, three hammers three hammers (add one foot) Peter hammers with three hammers all day long.
Peter hammers with four hammers four hammers four hammers (tap other foot too along with fists) Peter hammers with four hammers all day long.
Peter hammers with five hammers five hammers five hammers (use your head) Peter hammers with five hammers And then he goes to sleep!