Egg Carton Math: Counting and matching 1 - 6
- Using an egg carton, write the numbers 1 to 6 mixed up in the bottom of each segment.
- Have a bowl of many pennies (P) next to the egg carton
- Let child add pennies to each segment as numbered and encourage him to count aloud as each penny is added to the egg carton segment. As you point to the section containing the numeral 5 - shilc will place 5 pennies into the segment
- Reinforce matching the number 6 to 6 pennies, number 5 to 5 pennies, etc.
Instead of writing the numerals 1 to 6 in the egg carton segments, just write the numerals 1, 2, 3
Write the numerals 1 to 12 in the egg carton and let child place pennies in each segment as they count aloud. For addition practice, add two pennies to egg carton and have child shake. Now add the two numbers where the pennies landed. (use objects to count to help with the addition)
- egg carton (6 or 12 sections - repeating numerals 1 to 6 for 12 sections)
- bowl of pennies (goldfish crackers, raisins, pebbles, etc.)
Curriculum Plan Resources
- Shape - Heart
- Color - Review
- Number - Six, 6
- Alphabet Letters - H, P
- Senses - Hearing
- Character Trait - Honesty
- Target Words - Good-by, Many, Match, Why
If you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything at all.
Did You Know?
"Children with below average language skills can make rapid improvements if their parents take simple steps to change the way they interact with them." University of Sydney
Books to Read
"My Very First Book of Shapes"
by Eric Carle (Activity 2)
"Big Red Barn"
by Margaret Wise Brown (Activity 8)
"Old MacDonald Had a Farm"
by Countdown Kids Album 100 All Time Children’s Favorites (Activity 10)
"Salve Regina - Antiphona (tonus monasticus) in Honorem Beatae Mariae Virginias"
Album Salve Regina Gregorian Chant by Benedictine Monks of the Abby of Saint-Maurice & Saint-Maur, Clervaux (Activity 21)
"You’ll Be In My Heart"
by Phil Collins Album Tarzan (Movie Soundtrack) (Activity 18)
Monthly Materials List
Click Here to view the list!
Fingerplay / Poems / Songs
Up Down Turn Around
(Activity 14 Month 8)
Touch the sky,
And touch the ground.
Blink your eyes,
Blow a kiss,
And say “good-bye “
I Need To Be Honest
(Activity 13 Month 8)
I need to be honest
My mom and dad say
And telling the truth
Is just one way!
Why be honest
I ask mom and dad.
You will feel your best
When the truth is always said.