H & P
ABC mailman activity
- Gather 14 envelopes (recycled/new envelopes or small sheets of paper)
- Use the two envelopes H and P from Activity 4 Month 8
- Say the name and sound of previously learned letters and let child write a letter on each envelope (encourage writing in upper case letters)
S, V, G, Y, O, U, D, M, C, R, B, F, A, E
Depending on their age, some letters may look like scribbles when written.
- Place all the lettered envelopes on a table or on the floor
- Ask child to be the mailman and ask for a letter - M - and let child find the letter M envelope and “deliver” or hand to you. Have a basket or box with slot for child to place the envelope inside
- When all letters are delivered, pull out an envelope (without child seeing the envelope) and say the sound of the letter. Ask child to tell you the name of the letter. When child correctly says the name of the letter, give him the envelope to hold.
Review, showing the child the correct formation for each of the letters and write the letter on the envelope. Let child make a copy of each letter next to adult's on the envelope.
Child can also look at an alphabet chart for guidance in writing the letter.
When adult pulls the envelope out of the basket and says the sound of the letter, ask child to say name of letter and a word that begins with that sound.
- 14 envelopes; plus envelope H and P from Activity 4 Month 8
- alphabet chart (you can make your own)
- basket, sack, or box (optional)
Curriculum Plan Resources
- Shape - Heart
- Color - Review
- Number - Six, 6
- Alphabet Letters - H, P
- Senses - Hearing
- Character Trait - Honesty
- Target Words - Good-by, Many, Match, Why
If you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything at all.
Did You Know?
"Children with below average language skills can make rapid improvements if their parents take simple steps to change the way they interact with them." University of Sydney
Books to Read
"My Very First Book of Shapes"
by Eric Carle (Activity 2)
"Big Red Barn"
by Margaret Wise Brown (Activity 8)
"Old MacDonald Had a Farm"
by Countdown Kids Album 100 All Time Children’s Favorites (Activity 10)
"Salve Regina - Antiphona (tonus monasticus) in Honorem Beatae Mariae Virginias"
Album Salve Regina Gregorian Chant by Benedictine Monks of the Abby of Saint-Maurice & Saint-Maur, Clervaux (Activity 21)
"You’ll Be In My Heart"
by Phil Collins Album Tarzan (Movie Soundtrack) (Activity 18)
Monthly Materials List
Click Here to view the list!
Fingerplay / Poems / Songs
Up Down Turn Around
(Activity 14 Month 8)
Touch the sky,
And touch the ground.
Blink your eyes,
Blow a kiss,
And say “good-bye “
I Need To Be Honest
(Activity 13 Month 8)
I need to be honest
My mom and dad say
And telling the truth
Is just one way!
Why be honest
I ask mom and dad.
You will feel your best
When the truth is always said.