Making a Baked Potato
Cooking baked potatoes for lunch or dinner
- At beginning of month place on calendar "Potato Night"
- Select a brown baking potato (Russet, etc.) and have child rinse and scrub with water to get it clean
- Dry the potato, poke deeply several times with fork all over the potato and rub skin with olive oil (butter, vegetable oil, etc) Place in a regular oven on middle rake and bake 45 minutes at 400 degrees (longer if more potatoes in oven) or about 10 minutes in microwave
- Potato is done when internal temperature is 210 degrees or squeezes in the middle to your touch (hot pad) or fork can be inserted easily into potato
- Serve with favorite ingredients (butter, bacon, cheese, steamed vegetables or meat, etc.)
- Potato Night is an easy way to get child involved in cooking
- Substitute a sweet potato for a healthier option
- brown baking potatoes/or sweet potato
- sink, scrubber to wash and clean potato
- oil/butter (optional)
- toppings: butter, bacon, cheese, steamed vegetables, meat, sour cream/plain yogurt, etc.
Curriculum Plan Resources
- Shape - Oval
- Color - Brown
- Number - Nine, 9
- Alphabet Letters - Q, T, L
- Senses - Sight
- Character Trait - Friendliness
- Target Words - Fast, Front, Sort, Same
Spanish - Tell me who you’re with and I’ll tell you who you are
Did You Know?
"The brain develops rapidly during the first five years and quality preschool programs can have a profound impact during this time.” CA First 5
Books to Read
"Fish Eyes: A Book You Can Count On"
by Lois Ehlert (Activity 7)
"Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?"
by Bill Martin (Activity 8) (audio book available) (NOTE: Please look for the 25th anniversary edition where the text is back to the original wording)
by Joan Blos (Activity 12)
"The Alphabet Song"
Album: Big Don’s Big Beat (Activity 5)
"Por Una Cabeza by Carlos Gardel"
Album: The Very Best (Activity 20)
"The Turtle Song"
by Suzi Shelton Album Simply Suzi (Activity 11)
Monthly Materials List
Click Here to view the list!
Fingerplay / Poems / Songs
There Was A Little Turtle
(Activity 11 Month 11)
There was a little turtle who lived in a box.
He swam in the water, he climbed on the rocks.
He snapped at a mosquito, he snapped at a flea, he snapped at a minnow and he snapped at me.
He caught that mosquito, he caught that flea, he caught that minnow, but he didn’t catch me.
Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep
(Activity 19 Month 11)
Now I lay me down to sleep.
I’ll count these hands instead of sheep.
Help me to remember these friends I made.
And all the wonderful times we played.