Long, Little, Short, Small
Creating long and short trains
- You will need small round cereal (Cheerios, Fruit Loops, etc.) and 3 pipe cleaners
- Make a short “train” using 3 or 4 cereal pieces on the pipe cleaner
- Explain that this is a short train. Ask child to make it into a long train. Give them time to think how they can make the train long
- With a second pipe cleaner make a long train with 8 or 9 cereal pieces on the pipe cleaner
- Explain that this is a long train. Ask child to make it into a short train.
- Give the third pipe cleaner to the child and ask them to make a train longer than the other two pipe cleaner trains
- Take turns making long and short cereal trains
Just putting the cereal pieces on the pipe cleaner can be a challenge. Have an adult make a short and long train and ask child which is short and which is long. Ask child to remove all the cereal from each of the trains as this is easier
Ask child to make a train using three cereal pieces and another train using eight cereal pieces. Ask child which is longer and which is shorter. Ask child to make the three piece train longer than the eight piece train. Have fun creating different length trains and chat about which train is longer or shorter.
- small round cereal (Cheerios, Fruit Loops etc...)
- 3 pipe cleaners
Curriculum Plan Resources
- Shape - Review
- Color - Black
- Number - Seven, 7
- Alphabet Letters - J, I
- Sense - Smell
- Character Trait - Courage
- Target Words - Long, Little, Short, Small
Chinese - If you get up one more time than you fall, you will make it through
Did You Know?
"Before children enter elementary school, they must develop many linguistic and cognitive skills that will make later academic learning possible. By the age of five, however, children differ markedly in their success in reaching these developmental goals." Entwisle & Alexander, 1993
Books to Read
"The Little Engine That Could"
by Watty Piper, Illustrator Loren Long (Activity 12) (audiobook available)
"My Very First Mother Goose"
with Ioa Opie Editor and Rosemary Wells Illustrator (Activity 26)
"The Color Monster, A Story About Emotions "
by Anna Lienas (Activity 8)
"The Color Monster, A Story About Emotions" VIDEO
by Anna Lienas (Activity 8)
"America (My Country Tis of Thee)"
by the Hit Crew, Album: Drew’s Famous Music for Summer Games and Activities (Activity 13)
by Willa Brigham, Album: Healthy Happy Habits (Activity 25)
"Miss Mary Mack"
by Ella Jenkins, Album: You’ll Sing a Song and I’ll Sing a Song (Activity 9)
Monthly Materials List
Click Here to view the list!
Fingerplay / Poems / Songs
Jack and Jill
(Activity 19 Month 9)
Jack and Jill went up the hill to fetch a pail of water.
Jack fell down and broke his crown and Jill came tumbling after.