Listen to song "America (My Country Tis of Thee)" and use courage to try something new
- Children gain courage by trying new things and not being afraid
- Ask child to think of something they would like to try to do - swing, swim, use climbing wall, walk a balance beam, recite the alphabet, throw a ball, button their coat, asking to play with a group of friends, etc.
- Allow child to try this new activity and have some degree of success to give them the courage to try again
- Being a soldier for our country takes courage
- Using a globe or map find the United States of America explaining this is the country where we live
- Listen together to the song, "America (My Country Tis of Thee)"
- In the song, "America (My Country Tis of Thee)" the Pledge of Allegience is spoken. Review the words together "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
After child has found the USA on the globe (map) ask them to find their state and their town. Show a child the United States flag and encourage child to say in his own words what the Pledge of Allegience means
Curriculum Plan Resources
- Shape - Review
- Color - Black
- Number - Seven, 7
- Alphabet Letters - J, I
- Sense - Smell
- Character Trait - Courage
- Target Words - Long, Little, Short, Small
Chinese - If you get up one more time than you fall, you will make it through
Did You Know?
"Before children enter elementary school, they must develop many linguistic and cognitive skills that will make later academic learning possible. By the age of five, however, children differ markedly in their success in reaching these developmental goals." Entwisle & Alexander, 1993
Books to Read
"The Little Engine That Could"
by Watty Piper, Illustrator Loren Long (Activity 12) (audiobook available)
"My Very First Mother Goose"
with Ioa Opie Editor and Rosemary Wells Illustrator (Activity 26)
"Of Colors and Things"
by Tana Hoban (Activity 8)
"America (My Country Tis of Thee)"
by the Hit Crew, Album: Drew’s Famous Music for Summer Games and Activities (Activity 13)
by Willa Brigham, Album: Healthy Happy Habits (Activity 25)
"Miss Mary Mack"
by Ella Jenkins, Album: You’ll Sing a Song and I’ll Sing a Song (Activity 9)
Monthly Materials List
Click Here to view the list!
Fingerplay / Poems / Songs
Jack and Jill
(Activity 19 Month 9)
Jack and Jill went up the hill to fetch a pail of water.
Jack fell down and broke his crown and Jill came tumbling after.