O & U
Using a ball to learn letter names and sounds
- Write these letters on paper or dry erase board - O, U, D, M, C, R, B, F, A, E
- Sit with child on floor, looking at each other with feet touching - making a closed space (so ball cannot roll away)
- Roll a ball to child while saying a letter name on the dry erase board
- Child rolls ball back saying sound of that letter (can be either short or long sound for vowels)
- If makes the correct sound, let child find letter on paper/dry erase board and erase or X out
- Continue for each letter
When rolling ball to child say letter name (O) and sound of letter (o like in otter). Child returns ball to you repeating letter name and sound. Repeat for each letter and sound.
When child knows all of these letter names and sounds, ask him to roll back by saying a word that begins with these letters. For example - o, octopus; u, up; d, daisy; m, mix; c, cat; r, rain; b, boat; f, flower; a, adult; e, earth
- dry erase board or paper
Curriculum Plan Resources
- Shape - Rectangle
- Color - Orange
- Number - 1-4 Review
- Alphabet - O, U
- Senses - Sight
- Character Trait - Responsibility
- Target Words - Under, Up, Down, Tall
Yiddish- If each person sweeps in front of his own door the whole street is clean
Did You Know?
"The brain builds itself in response to the child’s experiences. Brain circuits that the child uses in daily life are strengthened. Those that the child doesn’t use fade away. "
National Research Council From Neurons to Neighborhoods, 2000
Books to Read
"AlphaBugs: A Pop Up Alphabet Book"
by David Carter (Activity 1)
"Deep In The Swamp"
by Donna Bateman (Activity 22)
"Head to Toe"
by E. Carle (Activity 10)
"When The Saints Go Marching In"
by Pete Fountain, Album: Do You Know What It Means to Miss New Orleans? (Jazz) (Activity 2)
"Go, Flush, Wash, Dry"
by Martin Kerr, Album: Favourite Songs from the Family Learning House (Children) (Activity 24)
"The Noble Duke of York"
by Susan McRae, Album: Barney’s Song Book - 16 Favourites for Kids (Children) (Activity 15)
Monthly Materials List
Click Here to view the list!
Fingerplay / Poems / Songs
Sing/Say The Alphabet
(Activity 26 Month 5)
ABCDEFG HIJKLMNOP QRSTUV WXYZ
Now I’ve said my ABC’s, Next time won't you sing with me.