J & I
Practicing identification of the letters J & I; meeting unusual J and I animals in videos
- On sheet of paper write the letter J twice and one letter P
- Ask child to circle the letter that isn’t a J
- Next write 3 letter J’s and one letter H
- Ask child to draw square around letter that isn’t a J
- Write letter J letter P and letter H
- Cross out letters that aren’t a letter J
- Have child practice writing letter J and letter I
- Ask child to think of an animal that begins with J (jackal, jackrabbit, jay bird, jellyfish, joey, etc.)
- Find picture of an animal beginning with J and put into binder ( Easy way to find pictures is to type “Free pictures of animals” in internet search engine)
- Learn about a dangerous jellyfish here
- Ask child to think of an animal that begins with I (iguana, impala, insect, etc.)
- Find picture of an animal beginning with I and put into binder
- Learn how an ibis makes water safe for people for bathing here
Find animal pictures in old magazines if Internet/printer is not available. Child can draw a picture of animal also.
- piece of paper
- internet and printer/ old magazines
Curriculum Plan Resources
- Shape - Review
- Color - Black
- Number - Seven, 7
- Alphabet Letters - J, I
- Sense - Smell
- Character Trait - Courage
- Target Words - Long, Little, Short, Small
Chinese - If you get up one more time than you fall, you will make it through
Did You Know?
"Before children enter elementary school, they must develop many linguistic and cognitive skills that will make later academic learning possible. By the age of five, however, children differ markedly in their success in reaching these developmental goals." Entwisle & Alexander, 1993
Books to Read
"The Little Engine That Could"
by Watty Piper, Illustrator Loren Long (Activity 12) (audiobook available)
"My Very First Mother Goose"
with Ioa Opie Editor and Rosemary Wells Illustrator (Activity 26)
"Of Colors and Things"
by Tana Hoban (Activity 8)
"America (My Country Tis of Thee)"
by the Hit Crew, Album: Drew’s Famous Music for Summer Games and Activities (Activity 13)
by Willa Brigham, Album: Healthy Happy Habits (Activity 25)
"Miss Mary Mack"
by Ella Jenkins, Album: You’ll Sing a Song and I’ll Sing a Song (Activity 9)
Monthly Materials List
Click Here to view the list!
Fingerplay / Poems / Songs
Jack and Jill
(Activity 19 Month 9)
Jack and Jill went up the hill to fetch a pail of water.
Jack fell down and broke his crown and Jill came tumbling after.