Bean Bag Throwing (Gross Motor)
Bean bag target toss
- Make two or more black beanbags with the child by filling a plastic sandwich bag with beans. Place the filled bag into an old black sock and tie a knot.
- Use a bucket/basket as your target
- Stand two feet away from target and see if child can throw into the bucket
- Stand on one foot and let child throw at target
- Stand progressively further away from the target and see if target is hit
- Make a goal of hitting the target seven times in a row without missing
- Save the bean bags for Activity 21 Month 9
Use a laundry basket with a larger opening as your target for the bean bags.
Use a target bucket, basket, or towel with a narrower opening/surface to increase the difficulty and place target farther away
- two re-sealable sandwich bags
- uncooked beans
- two old black socks
Curriculum Plan Resources
- Shape - Review
- Color - Black
- Number - Seven, 7
- Alphabet Letters - J, I
- Sense - Smell
- Character Trait - Courage
- Target Words - Long, Little, Short, Small
Chinese - If you get up one more time than you fall, you will make it through
Did You Know?
"Before children enter elementary school, they must develop many linguistic and cognitive skills that will make later academic learning possible. By the age of five, however, children differ markedly in their success in reaching these developmental goals." Entwisle & Alexander, 1993
Books to Read
"The Little Engine That Could"
by Watty Piper, Illustrator Loren Long (Activity 12) (audiobook available)
"My Very First Mother Goose"
with Ioa Opie Editor and Rosemary Wells Illustrator (Activity 26)
"Of Colors and Things"
by Tana Hoban (Activity 8)
"America (My Country Tis of Thee)"
by the Hit Crew, Album: Drew’s Famous Music for Summer Games and Activities (Activity 13)
by Willa Brigham, Album: Healthy Happy Habits (Activity 25)
"Miss Mary Mack"
by Ella Jenkins, Album: You’ll Sing a Song and I’ll Sing a Song (Activity 9)
Monthly Materials List
Click Here to view the list!
Fingerplay / Poems / Songs
Jack and Jill
(Activity 19 Month 9)
Jack and Jill went up the hill to fetch a pail of water.
Jack fell down and broke his crown and Jill came tumbling after.