Making potato print wrapping paper to reinforce shapes
- Together use craft paper or cut open a brown paper bag to use as wrapping paper decorated with potato prints
- Cut a baking potato in half
- Draw with a pencil the outline of the shape you want to create - rectangle on one half and circle on other half
- Adult cuts away potato, 1/4 to 1/2 inch deep around the shape outline
- Blot the cut potato on paper towel to remove moisture
- Place washable orange paint in a tray and dip potato into the paint
- Press the potato stamp onto the paper
- Child can use rectangle and circle potato prints to cover paper
Give child oral directions stating how to use the potatoe stamps. For example, place 3 circles in a row, make a pattern of 2 rectangles and 1 circle, etc.
- brown paper bag/craft paper
- baking potato
- paper towels
- orange paint
Curriculum Plan Resources
- Shape - Rectangle
- Color - Orange
- Number - 1-4 Review
- Alphabet - O, U
- Senses - Sight
- Character Trait - Responsibility
- Target Words - Under, Up, Down, Tall
Yiddish- If each person sweeps in front of his own door the whole street is clean
Did You Know?
"The brain builds itself in response to the child’s experiences. Brain circuits that the child uses in daily life are strengthened. Those that the child doesn’t use fade away. "
National Research Council From Neurons to Neighborhoods, 2000
Books to Read
"AlphaBugs: A Pop Up Alphabet Book"
by David Carter (Activity 1)
"Deep In The Swamp"
by Donna Bateman (Activity 22)
"Head to Toe"
by E. Carle (Activity 10)
"When The Saints Go Marching In"
by Pete Fountain, Album: Do You Know What It Means to Miss New Orleans? (Jazz) (Activity 2)
"Go, Flush, Wash, Dry"
by Martin Kerr, Album: Favourite Songs from the Family Learning House (Children) (Activity 24)
"The Noble Duke of York"
by Susan McRae, Album: Barney’s Song Book - 16 Favourites for Kids (Children) (Activity 15)
Monthly Materials List
Click Here to view the list!
Fingerplay / Poems / Songs
Sing/Say The Alphabet
(Activity 26 Month 5)
ABCDEFG HIJKLMNOP QRSTUV WXYZ
Now I’ve said my ABC’s, Next time won't you sing with me.