Making BBQ Rub
- Rubs for meat are popular and very “hands-on” for a child
- Wash hands
- You can use a recycled spice container or small glass jar for storing the rub
- Gather all the spice ingredients
- Let the child smell the spices separately as you add to the bowl to blend together
- Show the size difference of a tablespoon and a teaspoon
- Ask the child to say which is bigger - tablespoon or teaspoon
- This makes a great gift to give to Dad to use for making barbeque chicken or beef - think Father's Day, birthday, Valentine's Day, etc.
SOUTHWESTERN RUB (use for beef or chicken)
1/4 cup chili powder
1 Tablespoon onion powder
1 Tablespoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon ground red pepper
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and store in an airtight container. Rub or push into the meat before grilling or baking
The adult can do the measuring and the child can do the blending.
Share why we use spices and how they can improve the flavor of foods.
QUESTIONS FOR CHILD
Would you like to be a chef and why?
When you are hungry, what do you do?
- small container/glass jar or old spice container
- 1/4 cup measuring cup and teaspoon and tablespoon
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 tbsp. onion powder
- 1 tbsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1.5 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. ground red pepper
Curriculum Plan Resources
- Shape - Review
- Color - Black
- Number - Seven, 7
- Alphabet Letters - J, I
- Sense - Smell
- Character Trait - Courage
- Target Words - Long, Little, Short, Small
Chinese - If you get up one more time than you fall, you will make it through
Did You Know?
"Before children enter elementary school, they must develop many linguistic and cognitive skills that will make later academic learning possible. By the age of five, however, children differ markedly in their success in reaching these developmental goals." Entwisle & Alexander, 1993
Books to Read
"The Little Engine That Could"
by Watty Piper, Illustrator Loren Long (Activity 12) (audiobook available)
"My Very First Mother Goose"
with Ioa Opie Editor and Rosemary Wells Illustrator (Activity 26)
"The Color Monster, A Story About Emotions "
by Anna Lienas (Activity 8)
"The Color Monster, A Story About Emotions" VIDEO
by Anna Lienas (Activity 8)
"The Little Engine that Could" VIDEO
by Watty Piper (Activity 12)
"America (My Country Tis of Thee)" VIDEO
by the Hit Crew, Album: Drew’s Famous Music for Summer Games and Activities (Activity 13)
by Willa Brigham, Album: Healthy Happy Habits (Activity 25)
"Miss Mary Mack"
by Ella Jenkins, Album: You’ll Sing a Song and I’ll Sing a Song (Activity 9)
My Country 'Tis of Thee
by Aretha Franklin (Activity 13)
Monthly Materials List
Click Here to view the list!
Fingerplay / Poems / Songs
Jack and Jill
(Activity 19 Month 9)
Jack and Jill went up the hill to fetch a pail of water.
Jack fell down and broke his crown and Jill came tumbling after.