Making BBQ Rub
- Rubs for meat are popular and very “hands-on” for a child
- Wash hands
- You can use a recycled spice container or small glass jar for storing the rub
- Gather all the spice ingredients
- Let child smell the spices separately as you add to bowl to mix together
- Show the size difference of a tablespoon and a teaspoon
- Ask child to say which is bigger - tablespoon or teaspoon
- This makes a great gift to give to Dad to use for making barbeque chicken or beef - think Father's Day, birthday, Valentine's Day, etc.
SOUTHWESTERN RUB (use for beef or chicken)
1/4 cup chili powder
1 Tablespoon onion powder
1 Tablespoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon ground red pepper
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and store in airtight container. Rub or push into meat before grilling or baking
- small container/glass jar or old spice container
- 1/4 cup measuring cup and teaspoon and tablespoon
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 tbsp. onion powder
- 1 tbsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1.5 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. ground red pepper
Curriculum Plan Resources
- Shape - Review
- Color - Black
- Number - Seven, 7
- Alphabet Letters - J, I
- Sense - Smell
- Character Trait - Courage
- Target Words - Long, Little, Short, Small
Chinese - If you get up one more time than you fall, you will make it through
Did You Know?
"Before children enter elementary school, they must develop many linguistic and cognitive skills that will make later academic learning possible. By the age of five, however, children differ markedly in their success in reaching these developmental goals." Entwisle & Alexander, 1993
Books to Read
"The Little Engine That Could"
by Watty Piper, Illustrator Loren Long (Activity 12) (audiobook available)
"My Very First Mother Goose"
with Ioa Opie Editor and Rosemary Wells Illustrator (Activity 26)
"Of Colors and Things"
by Tana Hoban (Activity 8)
"America (My Country Tis of Thee)"
by the Hit Crew, Album: Drew’s Famous Music for Summer Games and Activities (Activity 13)
by Willa Brigham, Album: Healthy Happy Habits (Activity 25)
"Miss Mary Mack"
by Ella Jenkins, Album: You’ll Sing a Song and I’ll Sing a Song (Activity 9)
Monthly Materials List
Click Here to view the list!
Fingerplay / Poems / Songs
Jack and Jill
(Activity 19 Month 9)
Jack and Jill went up the hill to fetch a pail of water.
Jack fell down and broke his crown and Jill came tumbling after.