Making a toothpick square
Month 1 · Activity 2 · Shapes
- Count out four toothpicks and make a square using the toothpicks
- Remove one toothpick and give it to the child. Ask him to place it back into the square.
- Share that a square has four sides and all sides are the same
- Now remove two toothpicks and give to the child. Let him make a square again filling in where the two toothpicks should fit
- Hide the square with a napkin and ask the child to make a new square using four new toothpicks. When finished, compare to the covered up square.
Draw a square on a sheet of paper using the same length of toothpicks or craft sticks for the sides. Let child place toothpicks/craft sticks on top of the drawn square.
Ask child to make a square, with no visual example, using the toothpicks/craft sticks. Ask what other shapes and letters you can make.
QUESTIONS FOR CHILD
What did you learn?
Can you describe a square shape?
- 8 toothpicks or craft sticks
- Math & Science Skills
- Motor Skills
- Problem Solving Skills