Hard Boiled Egg
Peeling eggs helps develop finger dexterity
- plastic knife
- Use one or more eggs to make hard boiled eggs
- Place egg in a saucepan and fill with water until the egg is covered. Put a lid on the saucepan.
- Place on the stove, turn on the stove, and listen/watch until the water is boiling
- Turn off the heat but keep the saucepan covered and on the burner
- Set a timer with your child for 20 minutes. Leave on the stove with burner turned off until the timer rings.
- Remove saucepan from the stove and pour out the hot water carefully
- Now cover the egg with ice and cold water or just cold water. Set the timer for 10 minutes.
- When the timer rings it is time to take out the egg and peel
- Let child hit egg on a counter for cracks to appear and peel away the shell. As child is touching the shell let him tell you how it feels.
- Rinse carefully so all of the shell is removed
- Let the child cut the egg in half using a plastic knife. Ask him to point to the yellow part of the egg and see if he can remove the yellow yolk and place it on a plate.
- Combine the egg yolk and egg white and smash into small pieces with a folk
- The egg can be eaten like this or added to a salad