Read "Head to Toe" and recognizing pictures, words and numerals
- Read book “Head to Toe” by Eric Carle
- Ask child to get the remaining two reading books for this month
1) "AlphaBugs: A Pop Up Alphabet Book" by David Carte
2) " Deep In The Swamp" by Donna Bateman
- In each of the books let child find a “picture”. Child will locate three separate pictures
- Next, ask child to find a “word” in each of the three books
- Finally, have child find a “numeral” in each of the books
- Reinforce how they use their eyes to “see”
First, let the adult point to a "picture" in the book and then let child find a different picture. Next, let adult point to a "word" in the book
and let child find and point to a different word. Finally, point to a "numeral" in the book and let child discover another numeral in the book. (look for page numbers)
When child has found any word, numeral and picture, you can be more specific. Ask child to find a specific numeral (1, 2, 3, or 4), then a specific picture in the book and finally an actually word ( the, and, etc.)
Curriculum Plan Resources
- Shape - Rectangle
- Color - Orange
- Number - 1-4 Review
- Alphabet - O, U
- Senses - Sight
- Character Trait - Responsibility
- Target Words - Under, Up, Down, Tall
Yiddish- If each person sweeps in front of his own door the whole street is clean
Did You Know?
"The brain builds itself in response to the child’s experiences. Brain circuits that the child uses in daily life are strengthened. Those that the child doesn’t use fade away. "
National Research Council From Neurons to Neighborhoods, 2000
Books to Read
"AlphaBugs: A Pop Up Alphabet Book"
by David Carter (Activity 1)
"Deep In The Swamp"
by Donna Bateman (Activity 22)
"Head to Toe"
by E. Carle (Activity 10)
"When The Saints Go Marching In"
by Pete Fountain, Album: Do You Know What It Means to Miss New Orleans? (Jazz) (Activity 2)
"Go, Flush, Wash, Dry"
by Martin Kerr, Album: Favourite Songs from the Family Learning House (Children) (Activity 24)
"The Noble Duke of York"
by Susan McRae, Album: Barney’s Song Book - 16 Favourites for Kids (Children) (Activity 15)
Monthly Materials List
Click Here to view the list!
Fingerplay / Poems / Songs
Sing/Say The Alphabet
(Activity 26 Month 5)
ABCDEFG HIJKLMNOP QRSTUV WXYZ
Now I’ve said my ABC’s, Next time won't you sing with me.